July 15, 2015

Instruction
Scripture: Psalm 23
We do not know when David wrote this psalm or if there was a particular event that moved him to do so. It does reflect David’s experience as a shepherd and the recognition of how God had shepherded him. The content of this psalm is well known. It compares the Lord to a shepherd who leads us, never leaves us, and provides for us. This psalm is a word of comfort for us, and God’s people often lean on these words in the darkest moments of our lives.
Teaching
There are three main themes in Psalm 23. They are God’s leadership, his presence, and his provision. God leads us in this life. He has given us guidance through his word, through our sisters and brothers in Christ, and by the circumstance of our lives. He is present with us, and not only in the good times. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death … thou art with me ….” This is a great comfort when our life is dark and when we face our mortality. And he provides. He provides in this life – food, drink, blessings, and more. But he also provides and eternal home to dwell with him forever.
We should also see in these words a relationship that is deeply intimate. He leads me. He is with me. He prepares a table for me. This is not just something God does generically. His concern is for you. And while he often works on a large scale for all, he knows you individually and cares for you, [insert your name here], and keeps this word for you.
Life
This beloved psalm is often relegated to funerals or the time of death, but do you see how pertinent it is for your life today? These are promises to take hold of as we face all aspects of this life. When we wonder what to do in life it points us to the Lord to guide our ways. He does that through his word, and he also welcomes our prayers. When we feel alone or struggle in life, it reminds us that God is indeed with us … now! This isn’t a pious dream of someday. It repeats what God often says, “I am with you always.” And as for God’s provision, we see this gracious Shepherd and know his loving presence. Will we not find him faithful for our needs in this life and the next?
This psalm is a wonderful prayer for our lives and a great confession of the hope we have in Christ.

Prayer

This prayer is written in the theme of Instruction.

Lord you are my shepherd. You lead me, are present for me, and provide for me. Fix that in my mind so that I learn to be content. You provide me with all that I need for this life and even lead me in righteousness for your name’s sake. Help me to know those ways all the better! You teach me that you are with me in all circumstances and that you do not abandon me in the worst times of my life. “Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me….” Keep that in my mind and heart when things seem bad, and teach me to be confident in your presence with me. You also provide all things for me and you have blessed me richly. All that I have has been prepared by you and truly, “my cup overflows,” for you have given me what I need to live now, but you have even given your Son to die for me so that I might live with you forever. “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever!” Amen. 

Comments