June 25, 2015

Instruction

Scripture: 2 Corinthians 8:1-9, 13-15

Paul has been writing a message of restoration to the Corinthians. Now he turns to the topic of Christian living. There had been a famine in Jerusalem, and he was gathering an offering to support the fellow believers in their time of need. His purpose in this part of the letter is to urge the Corinthian believers to be sacrificially generous, pointing to the generous grace they had received through Jesus’ sacrifice as the model of giving.

Teaching

Paul’s teaching on generosity was both bold and rooted in grace. It was bold in the sense that he did not shy away from telling the Corinthians what he was looking for. He hoped to see sacrificial generosity. He commended the Macedonians, the Corinthians’ neighbors to the north, for how they gave. He stated flat out that this was a mark of genuine love, and urged them to grow in this aspect of the life of faith even as they excelled in other areas.
He also referred to giving as an act of grace. Paul places the Corinthians’ giving in line with the grace that was given to them by Jesus. Jesus became poor and gave up everything, even his life, because of his love for his people. He gave the most generous gift possible in order to make his people rich – not monetarily, but with his love and forgiveness. In a similar way, the believer’s giving of self, money, time, etc. is motivated by what Jesus has given her and flows from his grace.

Life

How does this reading make you feel about your giving? Volunteering? Helping? Care for others? The standard it sets for us is very high. It is an important area of our life in Christ that deserves careful attention. Our material blessings are not meant only for our comfort, but also to support ministry, help the poor, and care for the oppressed.
But giving is also referred to as an act of grace. This is something we do because we’ve experienced Jesus’ forgiveness in our lives. Giving is a matter of perspective when we perceive and believe how richly God has blessed us with gifts like forgiveness and everlasting life, and at what cost. It is also an imitation of God’s generosity when we give and a behavior that is Christ-like.
Look for an opportunity to give generously and sacrificially. See how it feels to give as Jesus gave to us.

Prayer

The theme of this prayer is Confession.

Lord God, Heavenly Father, I confess that this idea of giving sacrificially and generously makes me a little uncomfortable. Often I view my earthly goods as the fruit of my labor for the benefit of my comfort. Please forgive me for not seeing the bigger picture of how you have blessed me and how you use my blessings to protect, provide for, and love others. Forgive me for the times that I have wrestled with generous giving and come up wanting. Cleanse my heart of the fear of earthly lack, the doubts that question your gracious provision, and the hold that earthly goods have on me. Change my heart and forgive me for being stingy with your grace as well. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.  

Comments